Sunday, February 6, 2011

Integrating writing: Journals

I have always written in a journal. I regret throwing my early ones away. Now that I have children, I get them to write as often as I can. During the summer, I have my children reflect on the activities they did that week. It is fun and it keeps their writing going as well.

But how early, is too early? The minute a child can pick up and hold a pencil to make a line. I have a journal that I write in each month for our youngest daughter. As she makes milestones, I enter them in the journal. Each month, I have her "write" on the top of the page. We have been doing this for a year. (She is two). I am excited about the progress and growth of her lines. She makes circles thanks to my dad teaching her and other things. She asks me how to spell her name and she will put it on the paper as she "writes" it. The past few months, I have been writing the actual phrase she is saying underneath and as time goes on, I won't be surprised to see letters form. She watches me write everyday, and I know that has a big effect her her writing.





For more information about Early Writing Development, click here: Early Writing Development.

No comments:

Post a Comment