Sunday, March 15, 2020

Preparation for school at home

Tomorrow will begin the first official day of school at home for many around the country. I know the key to a successful day is preparation and setting expectations. A few things I am aware of:
1. Many students won't have a parent at home
2. If the parent is at home, they will have to try and work from home.

I fall in both categories. Right now, as an administrator, I have to report to work to try and figure out how I am going to help families in my District get in some Distance Learning. Our State announced the school closures on Friday at 4 p.m., so it left us scrambling a bit.

Here is how I am setting up our Homes School. We had a homework station that looked like this and with a checklist for them to get through. It helped me get dinner ready and created some independence:



But let's be honest, I will not come home to a neat house if they are in my living room. So I moved them to the unfinished basement. And our set up and schedule is ready to go! I didn't assign times to the activities because some might take more than others (we hope) and let's be realistic, school at home will NOT be able to hold to the rigorous schedule that a real school has (unless you have been in the real, real Home Schooling business).  I also did an important thing: I included the kids in what they want to be in charge of so it is not left to me. If they feel ownership of leading the others with activities, they will stay engaged longer and take it more serious. 

Welcome to Lovely Day Academy!!





No comments:

Post a Comment