Monday, April 25, 2011

Integrating Holidays: May Day

Until I became a educator, I never really considered what May Day was. I now know that it is a Holiday that celebrates the fight for an 8-hour work day. May Day can also mark when Spring Begins, and the way the weather has been going, I am holding my breath for some decent temperature.

A few books to read to the kiddos about this International Holiday.


The next question is, how can you turn this into something crafty and fun?
*Playing Mother May I
*Making paper flowers to give to friends and family
*Draw flowers
*In Hawaii, people celebrate May Day, by calling it Lei Day and giving out Leis. You can go to your local dollar tree and have kids give out leis or make their own.
*I always wondered what I could do with an empty paper roll, and know I know. I can make a "Table Top May Pole"


About.com had a wonderful idea, I think I will try this year. Click here: May Pole

One year, I came across "Crazy Daisies." They were on sale for a steal, so I bought about 4 packs. Now, they have a purpose! It is a book about how to make funky flowers. It comes with cut outs, green pipe cleaners, and colored tissue paper. My older girls will love this. Book created by Raymond Miller.


May the creation of flowers bring you warm weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment