Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Integrating Reading all day: Emergent literacy

Do you want to excite your child about reading? Get them excited when they see letters that are in their name? When they ask to watch TV, you answer, read a book instead, and they are fine and know just which books to read? I know this sounds easy, but surround them with print all day long.

Just like most parents, I thought about buying "Your baby can read," and then I realized, I could do that myself in the re-reading of books, and making flashcards of the words she began to sign as an infant.Saving tons of money. So since infancy, I have added more and more words to those rings. The words she signed first are still on there, but the words she uses the most are on there. Incuding her name.

Everywhere my daughter goes, there is print in her life.




My daughter spelled her name to the family a few months ago. The E and L run together when she is saying it fast, but she spells it nonetheless. I knew her life was print rich when I was cleaning the bathroom and she called to me, "mommy, I spelled my name." When I went to see what she was talking about, tears came to my eyes. She did this on her own. I was so proud of my two year old.


You too, can make a print rich environment. It all starts with a pen and some paper. Look around your home and see where you can place the words on the paper. Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment